Some individuals on the autism spectrum do not speak, while others love to talk but have difficulty using conversational speech and/or understanding the nuances of language and nonverbal cues when talking with others. SLPâ€™s help individuals communicate in more useful and functional ways.
Speech-language therapy is designed to coordinate the mechanics of speech with the meaning and social use of language. Therapy begins with an evaluation by a speech-language pathologist who assess an individualâ€™s verbal aptitudes and challenges. From this evaluation, the pathologist sets goals that may include mastering spoken language and/or learning nonverbal communication skills such as signs or gestures.
Eastern Health currently employs 28 full and part-time speech-language pathologists, who provide services to children and adults while in hospital (inpatient) or within the community (outpatient).
Dr. L.A. Miller Centre:
- Adults (aged 16 and older) if not presently enrolled in a public secondaryÂ school
- Call 777-6560 for more information
Janeway Developmental Team:
- Preschoolers (birth to kindergarten entry)
- Call 777-4957 for more information
Dr. G. B. Cross Memorial Hospital:
- Preschoolers and adults from the Clarenville and Bonavista areas
- Call 466-5280 /5232 for more information
Rural Avalon â€“ Taylor Building, Harbour Grace:
- Preschoolers from the local area
- Call 945-6532/6623Â for more information
Rural Avalon – Carbonear General:
- Adults from the local area
- Call 945-5602 for more information
Burin Peninsula Health Care Centre:
- Preschoolers and adults from the local area
- Call 279-7970/7971 for more information
The Speech-Language Pathology Professional Practice Consultant is Mr. Chris Murphy. He canÂ be reached at 777-8109.
James Peyton Memorial (709) 256-5458
Central Newfoundland Regional Health Centre (709) 292-2169.
Staff are located in Corner Brook, Stephenville and Port- aux- Basques.Â Travelling clinics to the Northern Peninsula are offered periodically. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Western Memorial Regional HospitalÂ Â Â Â
Corner Brook, NL
St Anthony- 454 0276
Goose Bay – 897 -2022
Labrador City 285-8280
For a full roster of private practicing speech language pathologists in our province click hereÂ