Saturday, November 3rd
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
St. John’s – Gushue Hall
Prince Philip Drive
*Please note: you can park in Area 15. To view the parking map, please click here
Grand Falls-Windsor – ASNL’s South Central Office
7 High Street
Clarenville – ASNL’s Eastern Regional Office
105 Manitoba Drive
*Please note: location can be found around the back of the building to the left of the parking lot.
Corner Brook – Grenfell Campus, AS 375
20 University Drive
ASNL is seeking to fill two (2) vacancies on its Board of Directors:
- 2 Certified Financial Officers came forward to seek ONE Treasurer seat; an election to choose the Treasurer for a 3-year term will occur at the AGM.
- 2 candidates came forward to seek ONE At Large seat; an election to choose the At Large Director for a 3-year term will occur at the AGM.
- Members of ASNL and the public may attend the AGM in your region.
- To vote at AGM, you must have a current ASNL membership and dues had to have been paid and up-to-date for Fiscal 2019 (April 1, 2018 – March 31, 2019) not later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct 12, 2018.
- Staff at each location will have a membership list showing the names of members who are eligible to vote
For more information, please contact Administrative Assistant, Cathy Drake, at (709)722-2803, Ext. 221, or visit ASNL’s website at www.autism.nf.net
The two candidates for election as the one Treasurer are Paolo Mascasin and Kristine Strickland.
Paolo Mascarin (B. Comm, CPA, CGA)
Three years ago, my eldest son was diagnosed with ASD. Having access to the resources and knowledgeable people of the ASNL has made this journey so much easier.
I graduated from Memorial University in 2004 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree and in 2011 became a CPA, CGA. I held two roles when working with the Multi-Materials Stewardship Board. As Compliance Officer I was responsible for auditing corporations across NL, and as Senior Financial Analyst I dealt with short and long-term budgeting reports and analysis, government reporting, and approval of daily financial transactions.
In 2013, I began working as Financial Officer with the Nova Scotia Teachers Union. This role required the preparing and drafting of monthly financial statements and presenting these and any budget variances to the Finance & Property Committee. It also required presenting year-end audited financial statements and reports to the executive and delegates.
I moved back to St. John’s in 2015 and have absorbed the full-time responsibilities of raising two young boys. I remain active as Treasurer for the Commerce Class of 2004 and have organizational roles in several recreational sports teams.
I understand the value of ASNL and I hope you will allow me the opportunity to participate and contribute to this great community.
Kristine M Strickland
Education and Work Experience
I am a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) with a Bachelor of Commerce, Honours (HBCom) degree from Laurentian University. I am a licensed public accountant in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, currently operating my own public practice firm. I have several years experience in public practice including working with various not-for-profit organizations primarily as external auditor.
Charitable/Not-for-Profit Board Experience
Current: Board of Directors – Treasurer – Empower, the Disability Resource Centre
Previous: Board of Directors – Secretary – Financial Management Institute (NL Chapter)
I have also served on various fundraising and grant writing committees in Alberta for specialized private schools for children with autism.
Reason for Interest in Serving ASNL
Our late son Joshua was diagnosed with autism at 26 months old in 2001 and for ten years we navigated the support systems available in Alberta until his passing in 2011. During that time, we were strong advocates for services for him and other families, both within and outside the education system.
I would be honored with an opportunity to contribute to ASNL on a professional level, as needed, and share my personal experiences as someone who has needed the services that ASNL provides.
Two candidates seeking election as an At Large Director are Dave Collins & Shannon O’Dea.
- Attended MUN 1969-1972 BA Ed
- Worked Central Dairies/ Farmers Dairy 1972-2013
- Various Roles
- Vice President and General Manager 1983-2013
- VP Corporate Operations 2008-2013
- Interim CEO 2003
- Chair, NL Dairy Processors Association, 1996-2013
- Vice Chair, School Milk Foundation, 1992-2013
- President, Atlantic Dairy Council, 2011-2013
- Chair, Goulds Arena Committee, 1992-2009.
- Treasurer / President/ Past President, Brigus Historical and Conservation Society, 2014-2018
- President and Owner, Five Brothers Artisan Cheese Inc., 2014-present
- President, Collins Management Services Ltd., 2013 – present
- Education and Training
- MUN: Masters in Counselling Psychology
- California Southern University: Psychology Doctorate (PsyD): Clinical Psychology (in progress)
- Professional development certificates/workshops on mental health related topics, including related to ASD.
- Work Experience
- Behaviour Management Specialist (BMS): Eastern Health, 2008-present
- Psychologist (provisional): H. Khalili, PhD and Associates Inc., January 2016- June 2018
- Experience with ASNL and/or other non-profit and/or charitable boards
I have experience working with ASNL through my work as a BMS. Many of my clients have been participants in programming.
I am currently on a committee examining mental health services in NL. This committee developed from the ‘Towards Recovery Action Plan’ from the provincial government.
- Reason for interest in serving ASNL
I believe I can bring a unique lens to the Board of Directors. I have experience working with individuals with ASD (including families/support systems) from children to adults. I also have a personal connection as my nephew has a diagnosis of ASD.
I focused my doctoral dissertation on examining service needs of psychologists to best serve individuals with ASD and co-occurring mental health needs. I am one of the few counsellors in St. John’s who serve this population. Being on the board will be another way for me to be involved in the work I have been passionate about for many years.
12 Returning Members of the Board of Directors – Serving 1st, 2nd or 3rd Year of 3-year terms
- Edward Byrne
- Angela Decker
- Karen Flynn
- Trudy Goold
- Colin Hodder
- Anthony Jackman
- Mark LaCosta
- Kimberly Maich
- Patrick Martin
- Shawna Matthews
- Neala Quigley
- Carolyn Rideout